12 Volt Linear Actuator Top Manufacturers and Suppliers
We are so accustomed to comforts and amenities streamlining our life that it seems that they have been around for ages. For some, it may be true but most of the others are quite recent inventions. Let’s take an actuator. Actuators have been around for over 40 years and have become part of everyday lives that we can hardly imagine a time when it was otherwise.
Today, actuators are ubiquitous. They usher a touch of mechanization into our kitchens, dens, and bedrooms. Outside the house, they are instrumental in automating gardens, backyards, and garage doors. Once you leave your premises, the amount of actuators used grows exponentially with these devices inundating industry, agriculture, medicine, aerospace, and other numerous spheres of activity.
Among a wide range of actuator types, the most common is the 12-volt electric actuator.
12 Volt Electric Linear Actuators
As their name hints 12-volt linear actuators are powered by a DC battery of this very voltage to operate moving objects they are attached to. This motion is not very fast, but it doesn’t have to be. Instead of speed, actuators provide other benefits, such as durability, ability to operate in unfavorable environmental conditions, reliability, and precision of positioning. These boons seem especially marvelous given the simplicity of their structure.
A 12 volt DC actuator consists of 3 principal elements:
- A 12-volt actuator motor that can be of 2 sorts. A brushed motor contains a commutator with mechanical brushes, a permanent magnetic stator, and a wound iron-core rotating coil. The coil (aka armature) produces electric current once the power source is connected to the brushes. This current is generated by the motion caused by a magnetic field. All control over the commutator is exercised mechanically which makes this motor type inferior to a brushless motor. The latter features an electronically controlled permanent magnetic rotor housed within and a series of coils.
- A screw drive that also comes in 2 varieties – a lead/translation screw and a ball screw. The former consists of threaded rods that transform rotary motion into linear. The downside of this actuator type is the friction accompanying the motion. This drawback is mitigated in the ball screw where a ball encased in a nut diminishes friction.
- Set of gears meant to augment precision of control. Planetary (epicycle) gears look exactly the way they are called: three gears rotate around the gear serving as a solar center. However, this type is not so widespread as worm gears which are rods threaded only in their middle part (unlike entirely threaded screws). Such construction allows worm gears to supply an adequate measure of torque to the screw rotation which accounts for their greater popularity.
The foolproof design of the 12-volt linear actuator and high demand for such devices explains the appearance of a significant number of electric actuator manufacturers on the market.
Linear Actuator Manufacturers in the USA and Canada
- Progressive Automations is one of the leading electric linear actuator manufacturers that offers a whole gamut of affordable state-of-the-art 12v actuators – from heavy-duty to micro and even mini devices – that can be leveraged in a wide spectrum of applications with a special emphasis on domestic automation. Having the latter aim in view the company has a variety of auxiliary elements (motion control systems, control boxes, mounting brackets, etc.) so that the customer could receive a completed item to be installed and used on short notice.
- Del-Tron Precision, Inc. offers hundreds of thousands of actuators (including valve actuators) integrated into a wide scope of appliances all over the globe. The company makes emphasis on the latest innovation and amenable personnel both of which are called to inspire the loyalty of their customers.
- Having 60 years of experience in manufacturing actuators Burr Engineering & Development Company has both a large selection of ready-made actuators and is apt to produce customized devices making ball screw actuators their forte. The company's products find both domestic and industrial applications and its representatives can always lend a helping hand if the website has left some questions unanswered.
- Ultra Motion maintains an expert engineering department whose aim is to customize actuators to suit any need and all customers. Being employed in a whole range of industries – from aerospace to defense their products are able to function in most unfriendly environments including outer space and the deep sea. In addition to conventional 12-volt actuators, this manufacturer produces closed-loop servo actuators and multi-turn sensors.
- Tusk Direct’s policy is to provide the client not only with the core products but with auxiliaries as well. So the company offers slides, bearings, lubricants, and other accessories that the consumer may need to ensure smooth and comfortable functioning of actuators. Another boon is a prompt delivery so that the customer could start using the merchandise within 24 hours.
- Actuonix Motion Devices’ focus is linear actuators for military and defense industries. Providing top-notch appliances the company is ready to introduce modifications into their standard product line to meet all requirements of the customer.
- In addition to 12v actuators, Ewelix specializes in linear motion components such as ball bearings and profile rails of all kinds including miniature and precision rails that provide high quality and accuracy of motion.
A compact and reliable 12v electric actuator is one of the useful trifles that help in making our life more comfortable. By choosing a reliable and obliging manufacturer you will usher innovation into your home or office relegating as many drudgeries and assignments to the machines as possible.