How to Choose a Waterproof Actuator Properly?
Choosing a waterproof actuator might be a tricky thing if you aren’t sure how to do it. If you want to select a proper actuator, you need to check:
- Materials it is made up of.
- IP rating.
- The environment will be used in.
Make sure you understand the difference between “weatherproof” and “waterproof”. When we speak about waterproof, we mean a higher protection rating against liquids, in our case, against water.
Waterproof Linear Actuator
If you are going to use your device in a humid environment or hard weather conditions (snow, rain), you need to choose waterproof actuators. A waterproof electric actuator is a must-component in some application fields, such as marine, food and beverage industry, and similar.
A waterproof linear actuator is made from particular materials. Stainless steel is one of the most common materials. Other water-resistant materials, such as aluminum, are applied, too. They endure prolonged exposure to water, dust, cleaning agents. It is also resistant to external impact.
To select a waterproof solenoid actuator or any other actuator type, make sure you check its IP and understand what it means.
IP stands for “Ingress Protection”. Every waterproof linear actuator 12v is marked by the term IP. After it, two numbers follow. The first indicates the protection level against solids. There is a range of from 0 to 6 digits. 0 means that the actuator isn’t protected from solid objects (dust) at all, and 6 means the highest dust protection level. The second number is indicative of protection against liquids. It might vary in the range from 0 to 8. The number ‘0’ means that the actuator is not protected from liquids. 8 means the top protection level. The device can be not only submerged in water but can also resist strong water jets or continuous washing down.
Linear Actuator 12v Waterproof
The top protection level of a 12-volt actuator waterproof is IP67M. It means that the device is dust-proof and can function after a short-time submersion in water. It is a perfect option for application in:
- Machinery (agriculture, forestry industry, mining, railway machinery, construction).
- Gardening (lawn mowing, tractors, cleaning equipment).
- Industrial devices (adjustable tables and platforms, conveyors, doors and locks opening and closing mechanisms).
- Marine (boats, oil rigs, ships, rescue equipment, and similar).
The main benefit of using a 12v actuator waterproof is the absence in maintenance need, relatively low prices, long service life. 12-volt actuators are highly precise and relatively safe.
Waterproof Linear Actuator 24v
A waterproof electric actuator 12v is used to perform some type of work (lifting, reclining, pulling, pushing, and similar) at home or in particular fields. A 24 v linear actuator is used in more complex applications:
- Machinery used for electric power needs.
- Furniture transportation.
- Petroleum-based products transportation.
- Chemical product lifting.
- Robotics projects, and many more.
24v linear actuators are significantly more reliable. They are quicker in action, too. They guarantee a smooth operation at a low noise level. They are sold at affordable prices and easy-to-install.
Selecting a proper waterproof linear actuator 12v dc is not an easy thing. To help you make a correct decision, we have prepared this actuator buying guide for you. Make sure you check all the features before making a purchase:
- Consider the environment you are going to use the waterproof 12-volt linear actuator. Does it need to be dust-proof, protected from drops of water, low-pressure water jets, high-pressure water jets? Or maybe you are going to use it for marine equipment?
- Consider the materials from which an actuator is made. It is obvious that for applications in the marine industry, the material should be more resistant than for outdoor installations applications.
- Finally, check whether you need a 12v or a 24v actuator. Even though 12v actuators are more common and used widely, consider the industry where your actuator will be applied.
- Check the specifications of the item. Make sure they comply with your requirements.
You might add some more criteria based on which you will make your choice. After considering all the pros and cons, you can purchase a perfect option for your application.